Monday 20 March 2017

The Butterfly Effect


Something I have been sewing at the crafty group I have been to and in my spare time, is this butterfly embroidery. I realised after beginning it that in order for the embroidery to sit well, I probably should have used a hoop, but I am happy for it to look a bit imperfect. I am learning that if something is enjoyable to do and calming or relaxing, it doesn't have to be perfect.

I actually began with a more moth like shape than a butterfly shape and just drew the butterflies on. I haven't used embroidery thread, just fairly cheap normal threads I found, with some gold and silver thrown in.

I am loving the embroidered and embellished clothes around at the moment and find them very inspiring.

This will probably become a bag. I was thinking cushion cover originally, but the symbolism of the butterfly means quite a lot to me at the moment so I would quite like a rather silly and over the top butterfly bag to carry around with me and remind me of the importance of growth and transformation. I think I will add some lace and sequins.

I also want to make some embroidered brooches.

The embroidered words are from a letter sent by Keats to his beloved Fanny Brawne,  'I almost wish we were butterflies and liv'd but three summer days—three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain'. This scene in the film, Bright Star captures this notion of the majestic power of the butterfly and romantic love perfectly.

I hope to share some pictures of the finished bag soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment